Friday 3 June 2016

THE HORNET'S NEST


Welcome to the Hornet’s Nest


Hi, I’m Richard Seymour-Legge.

My friends call me Dick. If you think Richard Seymour-Legge sounds elitist, it’s not at all. At school, I was bullied because of my double-barrelled name. The other kids called me Dick See More Leg, and they said it slowly and distinctly so that everyone would think I was some kind of sneaky pervert.
Richard Seymour-Legge

We certainly didn’t live in a fancy part of town. In fact, we lived in the poorest part of town. We had to scrounge for food and old clothes. We were a big family and our dad left when I was only two, so I don’t remember him. He was Jim Seymour-Legge, but I don’t know anything else about him or his ancestors. Once, when I asked my older brother, Allan, he said that Seymour-Legge came about because our granny had a leg-over, and that left me even more confused.

We were dirt poor. A flash salesman came to our door once and when he saw inside the house he changed his mind about trying to sell us something, and instead asked for directions. As he turned away in his flash suit that was bulging with fat, he farted, and for the first time ever, we all got a smell of hot food.

Eventually, our mother couldn’t pay the rent any longer, and we all got adopted out in different parts of the country. The family that took me in didn’t have much idea of how to love and care for a brat like me. I had to make it pretty much on my own. I left school and home at fifteen, and after a couple minor scrapes with law, which we won’t go into here, I eventually made good.

A hornet's nest
It was a hard road for a long time, but I worked at many jobs, read everything I could get hold of, travelled when I had some cash, and eventually got into my own business. But I’ve never forgotten what it’s like to be on the wrong side of the tracks. It made me see many things differently. It made me question things that others take for granted. It made me check facts. It also made me unafraid to speak up and take a stand, even when the majority may have a different point of view.

My latest venture is The Hornet’s Nest.  It’s a blog, if you like. On the Nest you will find a smorgasbord facts and opinions on every subject under the sun; politics, business, people, travel and tourism, world affairs, climate change, crime and punishment, economics, welfare, literature, humour, history, and a host of other topics to bring readers back to the Nest again and again.

You may like to copy a link for future reference, or comment on what you read. You may even be tempted to submit an article or two for inclusion. Please tell your friends about The Hornet’s Nest, and feel free to share my posts on social media. Remember, there is no better way to get folks thinking and debating important issues, than to literally stir up a hornet’s nest.

So, welcome to The Hornet’s Nest, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Regards
Richard Seymour-Legge.

No comments:

Post a Comment